Wednesday, February 27, 2008

The BIG talk

Ok, I am going to post this so I can get some feedback. Me and a couple of friends have been wondering about this lately. What is a good age to have the sex talk? I really feel like Braydon is so young, and I don't know what he knows, but I am afraid that he could be hearing things at school and I would rather have the talk than have him get the wrong idea about it. I need tons of feedback on this so anyone that can help. I have been dreading this talk since the day my kids were born. I was hoping the second coming would have come before this. By the way, he will be 10 next month.

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

I'm worried about that too, but Shelbs is only 6 so hopefully I have awhile! For now I'm just trying to have good communication with her on everything. I think every kid is different though, so it totally depends on the kid. Good luck:)

Colton said...

First of all, I don't know anything about kids. But my plan has always been to be such good friends with my kids that they will just ask me if they have a question about something. You have to make sure that they don't feel like they are going to get into trouble by asking you something about sex. One of the things that I have always admired the most about my friend Jake Hall's mom is that she expects her kids to be open with her about sex. If Braydon feels like he can ask you anything, then I don't think that you need to worry about being oblivious to his "educational" learning. I wouldn't go into it too much, though. Just answer his question. Wow, this is turning into a novel. I am going to have to finish this by posting something about it on my blog now.

Misty said...

K Ang, you not being on my friends list was a complete oversight. I hope you can forgive me. Regarding the sex talk, I don't think he needs to know everything at that age, but like you said, you want to be the one he gets the information from, not some kids at school. I think as parents we can't be afraid to talk to our kids because with the way the world is, it is all around them and I think that as long as you convey to them how special and completely sacred that act is the better off they will be. Sex is way to commonplace these days it is so scary. Love ya!

Dawn said...

You missed the window. You should've done it about 3 years ago. I promise you, he is hearing things about sex at school and is emberassed and avoiding telling you. You have to approach him about it and hopefully he'll feel comfortable about talking to you about it. How's his dad with that stuff? Does he feel like he can talk to Mike? Or your dad. You just have to make sure he knows he will not be in trouble for asking. You have to open the door now, that's all you can do. Good luck, I had this talk with Meg, she's almost 7! She came to me, ater hearing 'sex' from her cousin.

Linde said...

I have a few friends here that have already had the talk with their girls but haven't yet with their boys. It is probably getting close but I am in the same boat as you. I think it depends on the kid. When you do have the talk I know a great kid book at the bookstore about the birds and the bees. You can go into as much or as little as you want. So just an idea.

JC&S said...

You can never start to young. Just word things per their age level and not to in depth. Let them know it's very important that they ask you their questions vs. the kids on the play ground.

Chris